There are 8 out of 10 adults that suffer from gingivitis. Common symptoms are redness, irritation, inflammation and bleeding of gums, usually when brushing. Gingivitis is caused by plaque building bacteria and infections due to poor oral hygiene. When left untreated, gingivitis may lead to a severe gum disease called periodontitis that affects deeper tissues and bones, which eventually leads to tooth loss.
The mouth is an essential part of the body; it may act as a gateway to detect developing illnesses internally. Therefore, it is important to take any mouth diseases seriously and have it cured immediately once signs and symptoms occur.
Most cases of gingivitis are mild and can be treated with simple and natural medications. By simply maintaining a healthy lifestyle and following the advice of your dental practitioner, gingivitis can be controlled.
Here are our top 5 effective remedies to cure gingivitis and to stop bleeding gums:
1. Prevention through Good Oral Hygiene
The primary culprit of gingivitis is bacteria caused by unsanitary practices. Thus, preventing such infections from building up in your mouth through your teeth and gums is the first step to controlling gingivitis to develop. There are four methods to practice for keeping healthy oral hygiene:
- Proper tooth brushing and flossing. Although brushing twice each day is the common practice, it is recommended to brush every after meals – breakfast, lunch, and dinner, since food particles in the mouth cause most plaque. Tooth brushing must be done for two minutes. Flossing before brushing provides deep cleaning as it removes deep-seated particles and germs in the teeth.
- Regular visits to the dentist. Having your teeth checked-up by a professional would save you a lot of troubles. Getting professional teeth cleaning by a dental hygienist two times every year will remove plaque, tartars and stop cavities from developing.
- Keeping good oral practices. Due to certain circumstances, we are all guilty of not brushing, flossing or cleaning our teeth after eating or before sleeping. These practices may seem tedious, but regularly and dutifully doing them will undoubtedly cause more benefits as we age.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Common damages in our teeth and gums are caused by unhealthy habits and practices such as overeating sweets, smoking, poor nutrition, certain drugs and medical conditions. Therefore, it is essential that we avoid these risk factors by taking care of our bodies.
2. Saltwater Rinsing
The practice of saltwater rinsing to treat mouth diseases has been in practice for hundreds of years. Ancient civilizations first used salt as part of their oral care and medication. Since salt is a natural disinfectant, it is commonly used as an ingredient for health and medicines. Many studies and researches were conducted to prove its effectivity in fighting off bad breath, oral bacteria, gingivitis, and sore throat. Aside from its verified beneficial effects, it is very cost-effective, since its main components are readily available in the household.
How to make saltwater rinse:
To prepare salt water rinse, simply add ½ to ¾ teaspoon of salt to a cup of lukewarm water. Mix it well until all the salt particles are diluted. Gurgle the solution and have it swish entirely in the mouth for ten seconds, then spit it out. Repeat the process three times. Make sure that you will not swallow the salt solution because it could lead to dehydration.
3. Homemade or Over-the-counter Mouthwash
It is true, brushing alone is not enough for total oral care. Especially, when you have gingivitis. Fortunately, there are many recipes for a natural homemade mouthwash that you may prepare or over-the-counter products that your dentist may suggest.
Some of the homemade mouthwash for gingivitis treatments are:
- Guava Leaf Mouthwash – Because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agents, guava leaves were proven to control bacteria developing in the mouth and cure gum irritation and bleeding.
- Aloe Vera Mouthwash – Using its natural juices to swirl in the mouth, Aloe Vera’s active ingredients filled with antioxidants will get rid of unwanted bacteria and treat gingivitis efficiently.
- Lemongrass Mouthwash – Adding lemongrass oil to water and using it after brushing as a mouthwash has demonstrated effects that alleviate symptoms of gingivitis.
While professionals would suggest brands such as Listerine, Crest Pro-Health, Colgate, Biotene and CloSYS to prohibit germ build-up and gum diseases.
4. Oil Pulling
There are two types of oil that are recognized to cure gingivitis through oil pulling. Similar with saltwater mouth rinsing, this method has been practiced for several years originating from Ayurvedic medicine. In this process, coconut oil or arimedadi oil is swished around the mouth for 20 to 30 minutes. Then, rinse with water. It is usually done before brushing the teeth. Some of its proven benefits are the reduction of gum swelling, pain relief, whiter teeth, and fresher breath, even clearing sinuses and relieves headaches and migraines.
5. Herbal Supplements and Oral Medications
In most cases, preparing homemade remedies can be hard work for people on the go or some ingredients for formulating them are not available in your household. Generally, dental professionals will prescribe oral antibiotics, which usually taken for seven to fourteen days depending on the severity of the disease. However, these prescription drugs have side effects that are very discomforting to most patients.
Good thing there is a naturally formulated herbal medicine that has proven to cure mild to severe gum bleeding due to infection effectively.
Yunnan Baiyao is a highly recommended herbal medication that is made with 100% organic ingredients, which is safe and simple to use. It comes in a 4g bottle that includes active ingredients such as Notoginseng Radix Rhizoma, Borneolum Syntheticum, Dioscoreae Nipponicae Rhizoma, and other anti-inflammatory and antibacterial plants and herbs.
First concocted in 1902 by Dr. Qu Huanzhang Yunnan Baiyao (White Medicine of Yunnan) aided hundreds of Chinese soldiers during the war. It continued to be China’s go-to remedy, which provides effective treatment for many kinds of bleeding like cuts, scrapes, gingivitis, epistaxis, hematoma, and heavy menstruation. While it has established benefits for humans, Yunnan Baiyao can also be use to treat dogs's wounds and any other bleeding problems experienced by out most beloved pet.
You may purchase this product in powder or capsule form and cure gingivitis and gum bleeding quickly and safely.